Sunday, April 5, 2009

From giddy little girls to a mommy

Where does the time go? I know saying that I probably sound like a 65 year old Grandma, but it's true. Where does the time truly go? It goes by so fast that once you blink, it's gone. Let's go back just over 9 years ago. I was in 7th grade and she was in 6th grade. Melvin made her sit down next to me on the bus, and all I could think is she took another kids seat. I never thought I would become friends with this girl. I just figured she shared my bus seat. We talked a little but it was more just to make it not so awkward. And then she reached out to me with a Valentine's card and an invite to play at her house one day. And then, a friendship began with Monica Goldberg. We spent our time in middle school by gushing over boys, saying how "mean" our parents were, being upset when we were rejected when "we asked a boy out", and riding our bikes back and forth down the street from where our crushes lived. We loved sleepovers and chatting on the internet, and just trying to be "cool." And yes, we were boycrazy. In high school, we would get grounded for staying out all night after homecoming, and we would take "walks" at 1 in the morning to meet up with the "hot guys" from St. Dominic. And we even thought we were hot stuff with our ciggarettes and beer with ice in it. Yes, you could say, we were a bunch of idiots. But it wasn't all just fun that we had, when our parents divorced, we leaned on eachother for comfort and support. We shared secrets with eachother and had this bond that could never be broken. And as expected, we did have a few fights which left us not talking to eachother for a few days. But we were "sisters." Nothing could ever seperate us.

We would always talk about becoming mothers. It was something that me and Monica both wanted so badly. We would always speak about the rules we would have for our kids and the fun things we would do with them. We talked about how we wanted to be pregnant together and try and deliever on the same day and in the same hospital. We became so excited when we spoke about our children becoming best friends with one another. And then one day, reality hit. Monica called me up on August 5, 2008 to tell me that she was pregnant. The day we had spoken about would soon be here. It was the neatest experience to watch my best friend grow with her baby and become a mother. Everytime I would see her, I would always need to touch her stomach and ask her a million questions about the baby. This was the little girl I would sit up on the roof with and just be silly with. The transformation she has made not only physically but emotionally from August until now has been amazing! I have watched my best friend, move her needs to second place and put her daughter's needs first. I have seen the light in her eyes and nervousness when she talks about becoming a mother. Finally, on April 3, 2008 at 11:35pm, Kaylee MacKenzie Lamb was born weighing 6 lbs 12 ozs and 21 inches long. I was able to see her yesterday and she was perfect. I got to hold my "sister's" baby. She was the cutest thing I had ever seen and Monica was in love. The day we had spoken about since we were in middle school, was finally here. Monica was a mother. It was just amazing to hold her and relive those memories that her mother and I shared growing up. So again I say, where has the time gone? It seems like yesterday, she was in my bus seat and looked at me and said, "Hi. My name is Monica." And nine short years later, here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment